Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

ok I'm new so this topic has allready come around probably ..sorry but $1000 guitar?

1st of all I have been a country player for 35 yrs but am just crazy about flatpikn acoustic and it seems to suit me..Martin is making the mmv and the custom d for around $1000..also might find an old guild for that..blueridge is not out of the ? either.

I don't care about looks or brand name really but tone and volume is everything.I have been getting my feet wet at some local BG jams and my Ibanez just don't cut it. Any suggestions would help for a 1000 guitar also looking for a decent store here in central il with a good variety to test drive ...thnx in advance..Randy White aka Larry Bill

Views: 784

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOVE IT, RINGS LIKE A PIANO.   Almost too much sustain.  I got the tinted model.

I had a tinted one, loved it, but mine had almost too much sustain to be a good grasser.  I was looking for a more abrupt sound.  Hard to describe really.

My tidbit of experience.... You can buy a great used guitar in that range, some costing a lot more than that when new. Some folks get into the whole "Better playing through agressive spending" phase... and quite frankly, I was one of them. The D-16 line from Martin are great sounding guitars, are readily available, are all solid wood instruments made in the US. The best answer for your question is, find one you want to play. After all, the cost of your guitar does nothing for you skills. A great player can make any guitar sound good. Find one that pleases your ear, and I assure you, there are guitars out there that sound better than their price tag.
Roger That Kerry!!!
I got a Martin D1, and I´m very satisfied.

Hi Mauro,

I like your music when you play your Martin more than when you play your Taylor.

I bought my first Martin D18 (used 5 yrs old), on "the Bay" for $900...a good place to look anyway

In your price range Eastman, Recording King, or Blueridge. They all make very good guitars for the money.

Tom

Hope you decided on Martin. I have a DC-1E Martin $999, an sounds as good or better than my $3500 D35

point i was trying to make is that,  there is a certain breaking point where a guitar sounds and functions like crap. i think thats about the $1000 mark, personally. only trying to assist, no the brand name may not be significant, but its true lesser models design thier instruements after the more famaous, sonorus, tone of the leaders, i.e. GIBSON, MARTIN, YAMAHA, TAKAMINE, ETC.  trying to save you from dissappointment. cause after purchasing a lessor guitar, you will discover you cant make BAR CHORDS, IT WONT STAY IN TUNE, AND MAY HAVE A TWANGY TYPE SOUND .  these name brand companies like martin and gibson, yamaha, takamine do make quality intstruements, its NOT THE BARAND NAME YOUR PAYING FOR, THEY ARE KNOWN, REPUTABLE LUTHIERS, copied by other start up guitar luithiers without the experience and finanacing for the quality woods, tuners, bracing, etc................after spending $4-5oo on one of the lessor models, you will get to vol 2 of your guitar course and discover, your guitar or you cant perform the required material, sounds like crap. then you will be haveing to sell the cheapie guitar and purchase a higher quility. im not talking aesthetics, like pearl and doves and abolone, but at least an ax that functions proper.  plus, you will fall in love with the instruemen, its comfort. tonal quiality andf ability to stay in tune, etc, highly motovational...........still, bite the bulllet, if your serious about learning get a PLAYABLE INSTRUEMENT. ITS IMPORTANT.   MARTIN , GIBSON, YAMAHA, TACAMINE, HARMONY ARENT JUST GOING TO PUT THIRE NAME ON A PIECE OF CRAP, TO FOOL YOU......THEYRE ALREADY ROLLING IN THE DOUGH AND PUT OUT A QUIALITY PRODUCT.  

RSS

From Flatpicking Mercantile

Get a digital subscription or download FGM back issues www.flatpickdigital.com

Check out the January/February issue of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

Download the Newest FGM Catalog

Download the Newest FGM Tab Index

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Matt Harlow is now a member of Flatpicking Guitar Network
yesterday
bill bouslaugh updated their profile
Sunday
kenneth Cooke commented on matt harlow's photo
Thumbnail

AlbumArt {C8162F22-1D2E-4A5B-92CD-8A4436794004} Large

"The version of the Blake song, "Last Train to Poor Valley" on this album is made by Tony Rice's high harmony. If you compare it to Norman Blake singing it solo I find the chorus a little flat. Seldom Scene do a nice version of it also"
Apr 15
Bruce Mateer is now a member of Flatpicking Guitar Network
Apr 15
Jim Stevens replied to Todd McFarland's discussion What brand do you play?
"My Mossman is currently having it's neck reset but here's a photo of a really nice one. "
Apr 14
Robert Sears replied to Todd McFarland's discussion What brand do you play?
"I own 11 guitars including Martin, Fender, Harmony, Hoffman, Hohner, and Stella all set up for different things. But my main  guitars for playing out and playing anything are my 78 Guild 6 string and 92 Guild 12 string. Had my 6 string longer…"
Apr 14
kenneth Cooke shared Paige Anderson's group on Facebook
Apr 13
kenneth Cooke shared Coy Wylie's photo on Facebook
Apr 13
Kayce Gentry shared their event on Facebook
Apr 12
Kayce Gentry posted an event

Robin Kessinger Festival & WV State Flatpick Contest at Coonskin Park Amphitheater

May 2, 2014 at 10am to May 3, 2014 at 10pm
Workshops, Concerts, and the WV State Flatpick Contest, winner guaranteed entry to Nationals at Walnut Valley Festival. Family friendly!See More
Apr 12
Pamela Marie updated their profile
Apr 10
Anthony Fairchild updated their profile
Apr 9
Profile IconKayce Gentry and Albert Macchi joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Apr 8
Roy Rudderforth is now a member of Flatpicking Guitar Network
Apr 6
RA Harris replied to Todd McFarland's discussion What brand do you play?
"I love the Martin mahoganies and have a 2-17 and an 00-17, but, not the -15. They're nice - I imagine you enjoy yours. The other model I've never heard of -- what do you like about it? I think we're all familiar with the Martins, but…"
Apr 6
Jim Stevens replied to Todd McFarland's discussion What brand do you play?
"1992 Martin Custom 151977 Mossman Great Plains Am I the only on to play these models?"
Apr 5

© 2014   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service