Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

ok I'm new so this topic has allready come around probably ..sorry but $1000 guitar?

1st of all I have been a country player for 35 yrs but am just crazy about flatpikn acoustic and it seems to suit me..Martin is making the mmv and the custom d for around $1000..also might find an old guild for that..blueridge is not out of the ? either.

I don't care about looks or brand name really but tone and volume is everything.I have been getting my feet wet at some local BG jams and my Ibanez just don't cut it. Any suggestions would help for a 1000 guitar also looking for a decent store here in central il with a good variety to test drive ...thnx in advance..Randy White aka Larry Bill

Views: 813

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Randy,

The $1K Martin's in my opinion are going to be a dissapointment to you if you've played the $2.5K models. They're making a $1K Martin so you can have a guitar that says "Martin" on it. For under 2K the Takamini would get my vote.

Dave
I have to disagree to a point. I own 2 custom D's. 1 Mahogany and 1 Rosewood. Are they a d28 or a d18? No. But they both have plenty of tone and both are cannons. You can not find a louder acoustic guitar out there. That is the primary reason I purchased them. They hold their own in the jams and blend really well with other instruments in a live recording situation yet they punch up when you need them to. Solid spruce tops, solid wood back and sides not laminate.

I suggest ignore the name on the headstock and ignore the price tag if you got the scratch and just play anything and everything and let your ears and fingers make the decision for you. Then you can't go wrong.
I would look for used Martin D-16GT. The D-16GT has solid spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, scalloped hybrid X bracing. It is loud and sounds great!
Blueridge sounds great but feels very narrow necked (Small string spacing and nut width) See if you can dig up a used d-18 for 1600 or so. I've seen a few floating around. I went through this effort myself recently and just can not find a way around putting out the 2.5k for a Martin D-21 special or a D-28. Played the Guilds, Recording King RD-227 and the D-16s. The Eastman 7 series guitars are fantastic though for around 800 or so. I actually almost bought one but wasn't really in love with the finish.

Good luck!
I'd Say Larrivee ... D3 (or better yet for me) the Rosewood version. Again a bit more than 1K but ... from what I have played ... best guitar for the money. I've seen them used in local shops under 1K and in good shape!!
ok it's between a LAR do3 or an Eastman..the Lar has sapelle back and sides while the EAST man I think is rosewood or mah If anyone was going to buy used unseen or played on Ebay which would you gamble on ?
Definately the Eastman! I lust after one of these myself and for the money you get all solid woods ebony fretboards and bridges and they come really close to that old Martin sound. If that is what you are looking for.
I just bought a brand new Takamine TAN16C for $1285.00 it came with a hardshell case and it kicks butt. The cool tube is awesome when you need to plug in and the solid spruce top and rosewood back and sides make it jump! I tried every guitar in the 1k to 2k price range(they had) and loved this one the most. My son was in the other room and when he heard this guitar he told his sister that it was the one I would buy he was right! I love it!
If anyone was going to buy used unseen or played on Ebay which would you gamble on ?

If you are saying that you can personally try the e-bay guitar before bidding, than I would do that.

I think that buying any acoustic guitar without playing it is a bad idea. The bottom line with manufactured guitars (and that is what we are talking about here) is that the difference between so-so, outstanding, and a flat-out dog is an accident of manufacture. Some manufacturers can increase the odds with more consistent manufacturing technique (and a willingness to burn the dogs for heat), but unless you have an expert luthier picking the wood, and interacting with that wood throughout the building process, the final outcome is an accident. You would be surprised how many factories in the countries of our Asian trading partners have NO ONE there every day who knows what a fine acoustic should even sound like (at least Martin certainly has that). They are delivering to a specification set by an American importer who visits twice a year, or has a consultant in asia that visits once a month. They check the action, check for string buzz, look for finish flaws, look for noticeable errors in workmanship, and then ship it.

Even high priced American builders know of these accidents and rely on the fact that truly discerning customers will try 50 guitars to find "the one", and the other 49 will go to people who don't know any better and just want a M.... or T... . Even at the low end (I bought my son a $350 solid topped Washburn) I had the store bring out every one they had (4 of them), and we played them all. Was it a great guitar, no, but we chose the "accident" that was better than the others. You could hear the difference.

Go into every music store you see, play every guitar they have in your price range and higher, learn to tell the difference (it is an aquired skill). FWIW, I actually like the lower priced Martin line, like with all Martins however, you have to try 10 to find 1 really good one. What will truly astound you is how many expensive (2000 and up) guitars are just so-so in sound. I have heard HD28s that sounded worse than a $1000 Martin in the same store. Again, it is an accident of manufacture. The best HD28 will be awesome.

My 2 cents, a dime with inflation.
one last thought the new Yamaha ll16 anybody like these?
ok absolutely the last post I found Martin SWDGT or 800..pretty nice but it didn't sound very loud ..anyone have one of these?..I swear i have no patience...guess I'll just stick with the Tele
I believe there is a proverb about the pearl merchant who sells all of his pearls when his lifelong search for the perfect pearl is finally rewarded. Patience is exactly what is required. Buy something that works for you now, and keep looking/playing. Don't buy for every marginal improvement in sound, but be on the lookout for "the one" the more you play, the more you will learn to recognize "the one".

RSS

Don't Miss These!

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Robert Andrew Whitcomb updated their profile
9 hours ago
Profile IconRobert Andrew Whitcomb and jerry L. Pujol joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
10 hours ago
brad davis posted a status
"Workshop with Beppe Gambetta & Brad Davis-Blackbird Farm Fayetteville,TX-Memorial Day Weekend 2015,713.818.9766 joan@blackbirdfarmtexas.com"
yesterday
brad davis posted a status
"Hope all is well with all the pickers, my schedule rarely gives me time to jump on to the sites I have a love for"
yesterday
Joe McColley and brad davis are now friends
yesterday
Ryan Wolfe is now a member of Flatpicking Guitar Network
Wednesday
Donald Helbig is now a member of Flatpicking Guitar Network
Oct 17
Tim Weil posted a status
"Flatpick-L hat (signed by Beppe). Photo Op at his concert at Swallow Hill (Denver) Sept 2014"
Oct 17
Tim Weil posted photos
Oct 17
Denny updated their profile
Oct 15
Roger Ferguson posted a status
"I have a very special guitar for sell You can check it out here... http://j.mp/1z4WxEl"
Oct 15
kenneth Cooke posted photos
Oct 14
kenneth Cooke replied to kenneth Cooke's discussion My Music in and around the 60's
"Great image, are you still playing?and if so what are you playing? I am so pleased that the images evoked memories for you. Please post the link on as it may be of interest to others"
Oct 14
kenneth Cooke shared their discussion on Facebook
Oct 14
Dave Richards updated their profile
Oct 13
Jim Yates replied to Downtown Freddy Brown's discussion Guitar straps and end pin jacks
"While I have never bought an acoustic/electric, all of my guitars have after-market pick-ups installed and some of them have larger buttons.  I managed to get straps on all of them, but my cases are roomy enough that I never remove the…"
Oct 13

© 2014   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service