Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

I started playing in 1975, I guess I should say I learned some chords and picked by ear some but not a lot.

Last year I started taking lessons and got bit by the bluegrass bug and I'm (along with the help of a great teacher, Tim) trying to learn flatpicking.

It's slow going at age 51 but it's fun enough to keep on going. Goodness knows it would have been a lot easier 35 years ago but I work through the hand cramps and forge ahead.

Tim and I are working our way through Steve Kaufmans Bluegrass Guitar solos 1.

As I go deeper in the book I'm getting use to the fingering and rythem but still have miles to go.

A few weeks ago Dan Miller came through town and had a workshop on accuracy and tone.

It was the first time I played a solo in front of anyone, it wasn't pretty . I crashed and burned but I got so much out of it.

Anyway, I'm in it for the long haul.

Views: 222

Replies to This Discussion

That is a great story, for sure. It encourages me to push ahead. Thanks, Kenny!
Good story Kenny. I started 50 yrs too late as well, get the cramps too, but won't give up.

I've been playing with and in front of people for three years and I crash and burn every session. It doesn't hurt anything but my pride and that's been so well-squashed it doesn't matter anymore. I simply get back on track as soon as I can and finish with a smile.

I'm averse to gear talk, but when I played a Taylor, my hand cramped, too. Now I play a Martin with a modified-V neck.....no more hand problems.

"It's slow going at age 51 but it's fun enough to keep on going."

I gave "self taught" 55 years.  Didn't work out as well as I hoped.  I start lessons next Tuesday.

I'll be paying some attention to this forum.

You and me both will be paying attention to this forum Martin.

Good luck with the lessons!

I played a lot back in the late 60's and up to about '75, so I was much younger but my hand cramped too after playing lots of barr chords. Like hard exercise, it got better. I stopped playing completely and picked it back up again after 35 years and started playing acoustic fingerstyle. The hand cramps returned but I'm sure in time they will get better again. I'm 57 now and I don't think age has anything to do with it, other than I can't spend the whole day in the bedroom playing like I did then. There is the wife, and the job, and...so If I play for 1 hour a day, I'm doing great. Just keep playing! Everybody! There will be a time when the young one's jaw's will drop to the floor because 'the old man is really smokin'.

"There will be a time when the young one's jaw's will drop to the floor because 'the old man is really smokin'."

I like the way you think Steve!

Hi I think it's great what you r doing...keep it up....I agree it's fun and when you first begin to learn you appreciate your efforts...the music is terrific.....I'm older than you and just started taking lessons in May...I saw a Flatpicking contest in 2008 at at a bluegrass festival in maine...the people who played were awesome....from north/south carolina;virginia/ and maine....and other states....but what they could do was unbelievable!I was hooked...I came home and started to want to play fingerpickin' music....I too wish I started at 10/12 years old...but hey thats ok I'm doing it now....so keep it up and share.... johnny mac

RSS

Don't Miss These!

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Profile IconMary Stewart and Steven Bocon joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Feb 20
Arthur Knowler replied to William Gray's discussion Heavy Picks Anyone?
"I have a left handed Blue Chip TAD 3R 40 pick and I find it a great pick to use, no scraping and quick on the strings. The only problem is that the tone is quite bass-y which is great for lead picking or Mandolin but not so good for rhythm…"
Feb 18
Profile IconBob Williams, Andy Gilbert, Paul Saulnier and 3 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Feb 15
Dale Galgozy updated their profile
Feb 12
Robbie Kane updated their profile
Feb 9
Louis Ruoti posted a video

Big Sandy River - Louis Ruoti - Flatpick Guitar

Louis Ruoti (http://flatpickit.com) plays Big Sandy River on a Blueridge BR140. Thanks to Dave (http://flatpickapprentice.blogspot.com/) for the backup track.
Feb 7
Tom Wescott left a comment for Barney Selph
"Good man Barney. You'll be glad you signed up. Lots of good stuff/good people. Cheers Tom W."
Feb 2
Barney Selph updated their profile
Jan 31
Profile IconRon Landis, David Vanier, Jim Sliff and 1 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Jan 31
Ramon Candido updated their profile
Jan 23
Profile IconDaniele Baldari, Kim Andrus, Peter Collins and 2 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Jan 19
Joe A updated their profile
Jan 11
Joe A updated their profile photo
Jan 11
Thomas Wakefield shared their event on Facebook
Dec 27, 2016
Thomas Wakefield commented on Thomas Wakefield's event 8th Annual Djangoary Music Soiree
"For the eighth year in a row, Thomas Wakefield curates his Djangoary celebration!!! Guest artists this year is John Jorgenson and Dallas Vietty!!!  "
Dec 27, 2016
Thomas Wakefield posted an event

8th Annual Djangoary Music Soiree at The Cultural Arts Center at Glen Allen

January 14, 2017 from 7pm to 9pm
Featuring Thomas Wakefield & Gypsy Roots with special guest! Celebrate the creative influence of legendary Gypsy guitarist Django Reinhardt on today’s music! This popular concert event features live music performances by the genre’s leading artists, including local favorite award-winning guitarist Thomas Wakefield & Gypsy Roots with a very special guest to be announced! Plus, meet the headliners and sharpen your skills with an exclusive hands-on guitar workshop! For more workshop…See More
Dec 27, 2016

© 2017   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service