Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

What amps have you used that DON'T color the guitar's sound?

OK, here's a question - what amps have you found that reproduce your guitar's unamplified sound as closely as possible, ie, the most natural sound?

Views: 73

Replies to This Discussion

With my D28CW , I use a K & K mini, thru a Vintage Jack, and then the XLR pre-amp , into a Bose Pas system ..
I have yet to find any system that reproduces the natural guitar sound better.

Bill
I have a D28CW with a K & K Mini also. I haven't yet played it through a Bose PAS system, but it sounds very natural through Schertler Unico. And the Unico is a lot more portable than the Bose PAS.
Well, every amp will color the sound. You just can't get around that, really. It starts with trying to amplify the acoustic to begin with, and our ears try to find a 'sweet spot' of an electrical manipulation of what we think an acoustic should sound like. It's an audio cup and ball game in a sense.:-) But I think the Baggs amp is the best so far in regards to that question. Their Ibeam and M1 setup is pretty darn good all things considered, in an acoustic environment.
I like the kind "amps" that involve a mic and mixing board ;)

but, i have a K&K mini w/ vintage jack in my Collings D1A from there I usually go into a LR BAGGS DI dox and then to the board (i usually do this as a safety backup in case the sound guy is paying attention to his beer more than the band and I can mix myself from the stage).

Bob's right, about acoustic amps. they all sound strange to me if that is your only source. the Bose system ROCKS! I have to say I'd own one right now it they weren't $2,700. but they sound great from small venues.

The reason AMPS sound strange to me is because you're "hearing" sound that has been hyped by the amp makers to mimic the sound you naturally hear coming OUT of your guitar - and that sound has some serious spectral energy - it full and rich and abundant in overtones, transients, etc...YUMMY! the tone you get from the amp is a bad photocpoy of that (remember the 10th generation xeroxes you had to read from in high school chemistry class?) ok it'snot that bad...but sort of..
There is a cute little 100 watt amp that is extremely clean and uncoloured. It is marketed by AAD and is called the Cub. It weighs practically nothing and comes with a cool little carrying bag. Perfect little thing for flying.
It ain't cheap, but it is good.

RSS

Don't Miss These!

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Ryan McKay updated their profile
Sep 9
Profile IconKATE KWAME, Seamas Gaskins, ermanno feliciani and 3 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Sep 6
Martha Yakovleff Stone shared Dan Miller's group on Facebook
Aug 18
Profile IconBill Gilchrist and Tony Cooney joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Aug 2
Dale Galgozy updated their profile
Jul 30
Gary A. Apitz is now a member of Flatpicking Guitar Network
Jul 17
Raymond Simmons posted a video
Jul 2
Raymond Simmons posted a photo

THE MARKET News Radio Logo

Send Your MP3s for Airplay on SELECT Radio AT https://selectradio1.airtime.pro/TO: simmons124appleton@earthlink.net
Jul 2
Raymond Simmons posted a status
"Get Airplay! Follow SELECT Worldwide All Star Radio On Pinterest AT https://www.pinterest.com/simmons100/select-worldwide-all-star-radio/"
Jul 2
"Read Past Issues of SELECT Playlist Magazine AT http://tinyurl.com/pastmags Get Your Airplay, Promote Your Music Career, Be A Subscriber!"
Jul 2
Raymond Simmons updated their profile
Jul 2
Steve Pottier left a comment for Robbie Kane
"stevepottier@comcast.net  sorry it took so long to get back to you!"
Jul 2
Steve Pottier is now friends with Jay Darks and Robbie Kane
Jul 2
"Upload Your Music To Blaqspot! Register AT http://easyurl.net/a59c5 also become an affiliate Join the Profit Sharing Program to Get Paid!"
Jun 29
Profile IconRick, Hugh Jampton, Raymond Simmons and 2 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Jun 29
Louis Ruoti posted a video

Jessie and Ginny Original Flatpick Solo Louis Ruoti

Progressive take on an old-timey rhythm base. Not much to it, the relationship ended quickly. Instrument; Blueridge BR 140, recorded on Zoom H-6 Handy Recorder
Jun 23

© 2017   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service