Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

I'm saving money this year to go next year. It's a long trip from northeast PA, but Steve and the group of super talents he's put together as instructors will be well worth it. Has anyone been there? What's the inside scoop on camp week? Was it all you thought it would be?

Views: 65

Replies to This Discussion

Nanessence... why wait??? It is more than an instructional Kamp. It's Field of Dreams for Flatpickers... well, except that the flatpicking heros aren't dead yet.
Field of Dreams - that's good! Here's one reason I'm waiting...the past winter was a tough one. I'm going to love anticipating and saving for this experience through the next winter. Are you experienced?
I am... and now addicted to Kamp. There is no easy cure... and no desire to cure it.
I've been twice...going back this year. It is unbelievable. A total escape from reality and descent into flatpicking nirvana...or pretty darn close. You won't be sorry
Dan
I have been there the past 3 summers. The first year was my first year of learning to play at all. It was overwhelming but inpsiring.The next was better as far as learning more and just as inspiring.Last year was the best,knew all the ropes and had more guitar knowledge than the first 2 years so it all made more sense. The best way I can put it is it is like drinking water from a fire hydrant. It will change you... and give you much to think about and practice. Voice record ALL the classes, you will NOT remember it all.
That's a great tip - to voice record all the classes. After all, you can't take notes...unless you have a third hand, that is!
Nanessence, it's an even farther trip to Kamp from central Iowa (two days on the road), but having gone last year and the year before, I've found it to be the epiphanic experience you want as a flatpicker. Sure, the classes are fantastic and the nightly concerts are great, but the people you meet are the best part. I'll have to miss this year (sigh) but will be returning next year. And you definitely want to get a voice recorder to get the class content. I'm a great note taker, but handwritten notes just don't cut it.
Hi Chris,
Just curious....how did you get started in flatpicking...and where did you hear about Kamp?
I started playing back during the Great Folk Scare of the early 60s, and then encountered bluegrass (and flatpicking) incidentally when I was at the University of Florida in 1975. Been stuck ever since. Heard of Kaufman's Kamp through Flatpick-L and FGM simultaneously about 8 years ago, and first attended 3 years ago.
I've been once, can't go this year, but will go again. Perhaps the best way to get the flavor of this experience is to head over to flatpick-l (http://listserv.nodak.edu/archives/flatpick-l.html) and look up Skip Staples. He writes a not-so-short memoir of his experience every year. Well worth reading. Shoot him an e-mail and he'll send it to you. Great way to get to "know" the regulars.
Nan,

Just save $15 a week and you'll have next year's tuition! My first Kamp trip as a Kamper was in 2006. I missed '07 and am headed back this year. Kamp '06 remains one of the best weeks I've ever spent anywhere doing anything. If you love this music then you'll fall hard for Kamp.

The instructors are first-class. The nightly concerts are amazing. The jamming going on everywhere across kampus is sooooo much fun.

But what you take home are friendships and memories of the great people. Folks who I barely spent time with in '06 still stay in touch, for example. It's something you need to do... the sooner the better, for YOU!

Gary Collier
Albany, Ga.
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the reply. What you describe is exactly what I am seeking. How joyful!

I took lessons for seven months from a teacher who really got my motor running. He didn't know much about flatpicking at the time, but subscribed to FGM after I began taking lessons. Using the criteria in Steve's Kamp brochure, he placed me between Beginner and Intermediate. I would really like to be solidly Intermediate when I attend Kamp because for me the joy is in playing with others to create that special sound.

I'm putting $20 in my Kamp envelope today!

RSS

Don't Miss These!

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Larry posted a discussion

Easy Solution To a Common Acoustic/Electric String Problem

Found a solution to an often mentioned problem when having installed a piezo type bridge plate pickup transducer. The consensus of several Internet responders who have done this is that while the sound from strings 2 through 6 is good, the high e-string  is way too quiet with no real ring, sustain, etc. Some have suggested moving the transducer for that string away from a brace, Adding a 4th transducer, a not so easy job, etc.I recently installed a JJB pickup (jjbelectronics) in a 40 year old…See More
Apr 21
Sam Byerly posted videos
Apr 19
Sam Byerly posted a photo
Apr 19
Bill Davenport left a comment for Roger Knowles
"Hi Roger...hope all is well across the pond. Hope all is well.  Haven't heard anything about Dave...he may be retired by now."
Apr 14
Profile IconJohn Quibell, Steve Mooney, Alastair Macdonald and 7 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Apr 9
Jeffrey Glen West left a comment for dan huckabee
"Dan -- I ran out of time to say much but I want to thank you for your beginner's articles in FGM. I work them out fingerstyle on a nylon-string baritone ukulele."
Mar 30
Jeffrey Glen West posted a blog post

FGM DGBE

I play two-thirds of a guitar. I have some wrist issues with fretting the 6th string. I enjoy finger picking but have been an avid follower of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine for about 6 years. I find Dan Huckabee's beginners arrangements great for the bari-uke. I have also found much of Adam Granger's work suits my DGBE tuning.I once took a class from Dan Miller in Palo Alto, California and he told me that his daughter was playing the baritone uke. I have e-mailed Adam about his new FGM…See More
Mar 30
Jeffrey Glen West commented on Jeffrey Glen West's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_20160720_100804276_HDR

"Learning mountain tunes from Wayne Henderson July 2016 at the California Coast Music Camp"
Mar 30
Jeffrey Glen West posted photos
Mar 30
Profile IconMary Stewart and Steven Bocon joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Feb 20
Arthur Knowler replied to William Gray's discussion Heavy Picks Anyone?
"I have a left handed Blue Chip TAD 3R 40 pick and I find it a great pick to use, no scraping and quick on the strings. The only problem is that the tone is quite bass-y which is great for lead picking or Mandolin but not so good for rhythm…"
Feb 18
Profile IconBob Williams, Andy Gilbert, Paul Saulnier and 3 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Feb 15
Dale Galgozy updated their profile
Feb 12
Robbie Kane updated their profile
Feb 9
Louis Ruoti posted a video

Big Sandy River - Louis Ruoti - Flatpick Guitar

Louis Ruoti (http://flatpickit.com) plays Big Sandy River on a Blueridge BR140. Thanks to Dave (http://flatpickapprentice.blogspot.com/) for the backup track.
Feb 7
Tom Wescott left a comment for Barney Selph
"Good man Barney. You'll be glad you signed up. Lots of good stuff/good people. Cheers Tom W."
Feb 2

© 2017   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service