Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

There are many great microphones for recording acoustic guitar (or any acoustic instrument), but many of them are accompanied by a price tag that is out of reach for many recording enthusiasts. Which mic have you achieved the best results with, and what mic do you feel gives the most "bang for the buck"? (Reasonably priced and performance that's comparable to the Neumann, Audio Technica, AKG, Sennheisser, Shure, etc. microphones that are often used in studios)

Views: 604

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Mike,
I haven't had the chance to try one. I did speak to Fred Forrsell about it though. They were specifically designed for ribbon microphones. So one feature I think it may be lacking is phantom power.
Since it was designed by Fred Forrsell I can only imagine that it sounds great.
Jim
Hi Jim,
I got it to run a ribbon through it and yes, it doesn't have phantom as ribbons don't like it. It has 2 channels and I was wondering if I used an AT8801 external power source for a condenser, could I then run that condenser through the AEA with out any danger to the AEA or the ribbon mic. Thanks, I missed you today in Edmonton, couldn't make the clinic. All the best.
Mike
Hi Andy,

A matched pair of AKG-535s can do quite a bit. Good tone that won't break the bank. Good luck!
Studio Projects C-1 does a nice job when run thru a tube pre. You could by a car with the money you'd save on Neumanns

Steve Hart
I think good mics are like good guitars. It's better save up and get what you want. I've tried the Neumann Km184 as well as the 84's and liked them both (84's much more so), but I'm currently using a DPA 4011 through a Great River mic pre and I think it beats the Neumanns hands-down.
While I really don't know what I'm doing I enjoy messing with recording. The Mics for guitar topic prompts a question. I used to use a Fostex R-8 reel to reel and a Fostex 450 board. It had preamps built in. I have gone to computer recording since the R-8 tape transports gave out. I use a Presonus Firepod into Cubase LE. Both of these setups had pre-amps built into either the board or the Firepod. Other than tone coloration, what advantages do I get by adding external preamps? I've got a matched set of Oktava Mk-012's I usually use on guitar, a pair of MXL 603s that work ridiculously well on mandolin, some Oktava MK-219's and 319's that I use for vocals and occasional guitar and a Project G tube mic that I bought on Ebay and have played with but don't truly understand the advantages of. I don't really get the recorded sound on guitar I hear acoustically. The only thing I really have liked is mando with the MXL-603's. Should I be on the lookout for an external pre-amp?
Hi
Have any of you tried the SE Electronics GM10. It´s a guitar microphone that is attached to the guitar, so you don´t have to sit in the same position when you record. I thinking of buying one, but it would be great if any of you could tell me if it is a god mic.
Best regards
Hasse
I've been picking up a few toasted old style AKG 451s and having them rebuilt with some success. A budget approach that is turning me into a believer. 'Course I still like my KM-184s.
I always found audio technika 4033 microphones excellent for recording guitar... I used to use a 4033 close and a PZM fixed to a plywood board (4feet square) placed about 3 feet away ... the PZM does a great job of picking up the bottom end and the 4033 is a brilliant full range mic...... I,ve also used a pair of Calrec 645,s which are amazing condenser mics but they are incredibly difficult to get your hands on these days because I think they have been discontinued...although I have seen them on ebay occasionally... but a pair of sm57,s strategically placed really do take some beating for guitar work....
Hey I have a question... New to recording, really don't know anything more than put the mic in front of you, turn on the recorder, and play. I have a M-box with Pro-tools and the mic that came with. Any suggestions from here? I have and use a McPherson guitar the most so if anyone knows any good tricks micing this guitar lets hear them.

Thanks, Todd

Hey Todd sorry it took so long to get a response. I have purchased a Zoom H4N and have really good recordings come out of it. It is very easy to use compared to the protools; set it up, turn it on, play. Thats about it and the sounds are clear. Todd

RSS

Don't Miss These!

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Profile IconMartin Keimig and Dag E. Josang joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
11 hours ago
Dale Galgozy updated their profile
yesterday
Jim Cornwell posted videos
May 16
Profile Iconchris deczynski, Ray Desjardins and Dawn A Miller joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
May 15
Profile IconDane Tollas, Dave Siler and CHECA philippe joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
May 1
Larry posted a discussion

Easy Solution To a Common Acoustic/Electric String Problem

Found a solution to an often mentioned problem when having installed a piezo type bridge plate pickup transducer. The consensus of several Internet responders who have done this is that while the sound from strings 2 through 6 is good, the high e-string  is way too quiet with no real ring, sustain, etc. Some have suggested moving the transducer for that string away from a brace, Adding a 4th transducer, a not so easy job, etc.I recently installed a JJB pickup (jjbelectronics) in a 40 year old…See More
Apr 21
Sam Byerly posted videos
Apr 19
Sam Byerly posted a photo
Apr 19
Bill Davenport left a comment for Roger Knowles
"Hi Roger...hope all is well across the pond. Hope all is well.  Haven't heard anything about Dave...he may be retired by now."
Apr 14
Profile IconJohn Quibell, Steve Mooney, Alastair Macdonald and 7 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Apr 9
Jeffrey Glen West left a comment for dan huckabee
"Dan -- I ran out of time to say much but I want to thank you for your beginner's articles in FGM. I work them out fingerstyle on a nylon-string baritone ukulele."
Mar 30
Jeffrey Glen West posted a blog post

FGM DGBE

I play two-thirds of a guitar. I have some wrist issues with fretting the 6th string. I enjoy finger picking but have been an avid follower of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine for about 6 years. I find Dan Huckabee's beginners arrangements great for the bari-uke. I have also found much of Adam Granger's work suits my DGBE tuning.I once took a class from Dan Miller in Palo Alto, California and he told me that his daughter was playing the baritone uke. I have e-mailed Adam about his new FGM…See More
Mar 30
Jeffrey Glen West commented on Jeffrey Glen West's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_20160720_100804276_HDR

"Learning mountain tunes from Wayne Henderson July 2016 at the California Coast Music Camp"
Mar 30
Jeffrey Glen West posted photos
Mar 30
Profile IconMary Stewart and Steven Bocon joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Feb 20
Arthur Knowler replied to William Gray's discussion Heavy Picks Anyone?
"I have a left handed Blue Chip TAD 3R 40 pick and I find it a great pick to use, no scraping and quick on the strings. The only problem is that the tone is quite bass-y which is great for lead picking or Mandolin but not so good for rhythm…"
Feb 18

© 2017   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service