Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

Probably been asked before...what type of guitar to the forum members play. I am looking to purchase an upscale guitar.

Views: 1805

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There are tons of great builders to choose from.
Rockbridge collings mitch corbin Marty lanham bourgeois ken miller and even McPherson is pretty sweet. Play play play
I recommend looking into Martin Brunkalla's works of art. I own one of his guitars and it is hands down the sweetest guitar I have ever heard, or played, period.
You can contact him at www.brunkalla.com.
Check out the New Traditionals, they are some of the loudest, fattest sounding acoustic guitars on earth!
I bought a Martin D-28 Clarence White model in December, and it's hands-down the best guitar I've ever owned. It's been such an inspiration for me, I started taking lessons in January to sharpen my playing to be worthy of such a fine instrument.

Of course, your indivdual taste (and budget) is going to guide your decision. It's like Daniel said, play a bunch of guitars and sooner or later one will jump out at you. I was "just looking" on a Friday when I found what became my Martin. After playing it and several other guitars for a couple of hours, I went home to try to fall back in love with my Larrivee. It didn't happen, so I went back Saturday and brought my baby home.

Long story short, keep looking and playing and you'll fall in love with one, too.
Martin, Taylor, Fender (Strat)
My brother, who pioneered the way for me as an adult learner on the guitar, says his Takamine Santa Fe is his fave.
There are so many good guitars out there, you just have to play them until you find the one. A few years back my wife told me to get the guitar of my dreams and for six months I played everything I could in the area where I live. I tried Martins, Collings, Taylors and Santa Cruz. Then one day while looking in a local acoustic music store the salesman suggested I try a Taylor 514CE, not exactly the direction I had been going in. It just kind of melted into my lap and my wife looked at the salesman and said "This is his guitar!" The only other guitar I've played that I that feels that good is Claire Lynch's new Gallaghers G-70.
So take your time and enjoy the hunt! Let us know what you found
wow great story....in 1974 i bought a 000-18 martin and played that sweet thing for 28 yrs then i played a taylor 510 and was hooked...what a great guitar...these 2 flat tops were all anybody would ever want except that i did have a dream guitar in mind that i wanted since 1976 but couldnt find one here in upstate new york..im talking about the j.w. gallagher and son co. of wartrace tenn...so in feb of 2008 i called jw's place and talked to the nicest lady name of hazel...thats is mrs jw gallagher....and i ordered a doc watson signature cuta way w/ a fishman pickup..it took 4 months to build and cost just under 4 g's..i bought it sight unseen and its everything i wanted and then some...like merle travis said it rings like a bell.....and its a cannon.. the best by far ive ever played.........ty ellgarr
I would tell you to not go after a specific make at this point. Play a lot of different ones. Hit all the luthiers and shops you can before you settle on one. When you find the one that has that "feel" you'll probably know it. There is not a better feeling than walking into a shop, like Mass Street Music in Lawrence, Kansas, playing a bunch of really great guitars, and then thinking to youself "they're great, but I'm happy with the one I own! Thats not to say you will ever totally get over the desire to own them all!
I have a Martin D28 that I began with and is one of the most treasured things I own.If I ever learn to play it as well as it deserves I will die a happy man...
Hi Folks! I have played a Stelling RHD125 for 8 years now and that one is my favorite. I also have a Guild 12 string.
Hi Irving,
I play a McKnight, hmmm, guess you couldn't figure that one out ;) We have a lot of pros endorsing and playing our guitars around the globe.
http://mcknightguitars.com/players.html

We will be exhibiting our guitars at several shows this summer and fall so stop by and say hey if you get a chance. Its always nice to finally put a face and handshake to cyber friends.
Where will you be mr mcknight

RSS

Don't Miss These!

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

billy jones bluez updated their profile
Aug 9
Marlana Fury updated their profile
Jun 24
Wendell Greason posted photos
May 6
Louis Ruoti commented on Louis Ruoti's video
Thumbnail

Wildwood Flower - Louis Ruoti - Flatpick Solo

"Thank you kindly, John. Much appreciated!"
Apr 1
John David Hanke commented on Louis Ruoti's video
Thumbnail

Wildwood Flower - Louis Ruoti - Flatpick Solo

"wonderful version, very nice..."
Apr 1
John David Hanke updated their profile
Apr 1
terry thompson shared Russ Barenberg's blog post on Facebook
Mar 3
terry thompson posted a discussion

Download Digital Academy onto new device

I have the Flatpicking Guitar Digital Academy on one device with videos I have downloaded but I was to view them on another device. How do I do this? Thanks TerrySee More
Mar 3
billy jones bluez posted a video

.♪♫•*¨*•. . Liar . .♪♫•*¨*•. ~ . deep swamp re-mix ~ Billy Jones & Delta Blues Outlaws

.♪♫•*¨*•. . Liar . .♪♫•*¨*•.~ . deep swamp re-mix .Billy Jones & Delta Blues Outlawshttps://youtu.be/b1SL2_Ma5I4https://www.facebook.com/TheBillyJonesBand/vi...
Jan 19
David Helm updated their profile
Nov 21, 2020
Profile IconMichael Murphy, John Hawkins, Kevin Williams and 8 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Jun 10, 2020
Wendell Greason posted a photo
May 29, 2020
TAKA posted a status
"In 2020!!"
May 28, 2020
Profile IconRyan Orr, Bob Gordon, Rick Lewis and 26 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Mar 18, 2020
WR Mesher updated their profile
Jan 22, 2020
Dan Miller posted a blog post
Dec 10, 2019

© 2021   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service