Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

Hey, everyone,

I've been playing bluegrass guitar for a few years now. Thought I was a pretty decent rhythm player until I started trying to play along with a live version of the Stanley Brothers' "I Hear That Choo-Choo Comin'." It features Keith Whitley(!!) and is smokin' fast. Does anyone have any suggestions for a rhythm technique to use on a song this fast? Is the standard boom-chuck feasible at this speed? Or is Keith doing something special?

A link to the Youtube clip is right here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4adxe5N6Ato

Keith's rhythm looks so dang effortless! Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Frank

Views: 236

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey Frank,

I know my sight is slowing down in my old age, but it looks to me like they are playing chic-a-boom.
Thanks, Dave. Appreciate the response. I wasn't sure if Keith was even using some cross picking on his rhythm, too. I'll keep at it.

Frank
Yesm Keith is playing a boom-chick-boom rhythm and It´s not that fast actually. Listen to the bass! I don´t know how fast you can play normally but I can keep up with that tempo pretty good and I´m now guitar whiz at all. The fiddles and banjos have tendency of making songs sound faster than they really are.
Thanks, Stefan. I'll keep at it!
The key is to relax and let your right hand act like a drummer playing high hat, sorta.:-) Dan Tyminski does a great right hand thing as well. Also, when everyone is playing in the pocket and on the right rhythm patterns, it sound more complex than it is, it's just all working together - what a concept...:-)
He's probably hitting a lot fewer strings than you think. Trying to plow through 4 or 5 strings on the offbeat really slows you down, so on these fast ones a lot of rhythm players just alternate between the bass note and a quick brush of the B and E strings. If it gets REALLY fast, just the bass notes is OK, too.

Cheers,
Erik.
Thanks for the response, Erik! That would definitely explain how to get that light touch. Appreciate it!

RSS

Don't Miss These!

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

billy jones bluez updated their profile
Aug 9
Marlana Fury updated their profile
Jun 24
Wendell Greason posted photos
May 6
Louis Ruoti commented on Louis Ruoti's video
Thumbnail

Wildwood Flower - Louis Ruoti - Flatpick Solo

"Thank you kindly, John. Much appreciated!"
Apr 1
John David Hanke commented on Louis Ruoti's video
Thumbnail

Wildwood Flower - Louis Ruoti - Flatpick Solo

"wonderful version, very nice..."
Apr 1
John David Hanke updated their profile
Apr 1
terry thompson shared Russ Barenberg's blog post on Facebook
Mar 3
terry thompson posted a discussion

Download Digital Academy onto new device

I have the Flatpicking Guitar Digital Academy on one device with videos I have downloaded but I was to view them on another device. How do I do this? Thanks TerrySee More
Mar 3
billy jones bluez posted a video

.♪♫•*¨*•. . Liar . .♪♫•*¨*•. ~ . deep swamp re-mix ~ Billy Jones & Delta Blues Outlaws

.♪♫•*¨*•. . Liar . .♪♫•*¨*•.~ . deep swamp re-mix .Billy Jones & Delta Blues Outlawshttps://youtu.be/b1SL2_Ma5I4https://www.facebook.com/TheBillyJonesBand/vi...
Jan 19
David Helm updated their profile
Nov 21, 2020
Profile IconMichael Murphy, John Hawkins, Kevin Williams and 8 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Jun 10, 2020
Wendell Greason posted a photo
May 29, 2020
TAKA posted a status
"In 2020!!"
May 28, 2020
Profile IconRyan Orr, Bob Gordon, Rick Lewis and 26 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Mar 18, 2020
WR Mesher updated their profile
Jan 22, 2020
Dan Miller posted a blog post
Dec 10, 2019

© 2021   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service