Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

I added another video....

Views: 465

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kathy, another great one - and not too difficult. Can you talk a little about playing it capo'ed? I've been finding it without capo (and help from the notation for the 'hornpipe' version at www.thesessions.org). There it is listed as in G-dorian (Fmaj scale notes, but starting with G). I think all notes, except the natural B in the triplets and one Ab near the start of the B part, fall on the G-dorian (Fmaj) notes. I'm pretty sure you are playing (for the most part) the same notes - just wondering if playing it capo'ed has particular advantages . . .

Also a great place to learn a little Gaelic: Caislea'n An Oir = Castle of Gold.

Thanks for posting - invigorating and I don't even feel completely hopeless ;-) .

-ganon

yes, it's a nice one, not too hard, and not too fast! I'll think about why I decided to capo. I also went to the thesession and initially read through the dots there.... I often try things in different places (capo positions) to see how they lay out. You're reminding me to go back to the open position and try there again, just for fun.

One consideration is, if I was playing rhythm, I would rather be in Em than in Gm any day. I should remedy that but so far, I haven't. I have a bunch of great Gm tunes too... I play them all capo 3. I suppose there are cool things in the open position that I am missing.....

So, to answer your question, playing it capoed has advantages for me, I'm stronger in Em than in Gm. That may be more about my limitations than anything else.

Oops - old eyes. No Ab - it is a high Bb that is unnecessarily marked as flat (already indicated in the key signature). So all Fmaj notes except for the B in the middle of the triplets.

So, I've put up a version (audio on my page player) that is played without capo. It's pretty much the notation above - except that on Kathy's recommendation the B natural in the triplets is changed back into Bb, and thus the entire thing is out of the F maj scale. The backup is done capo'd 3 (Em, D, G) - as Kathy suggests the open chords (Gm, F, Bb) would not be much fun; and, the different 'spaces' are kinda nice.

very nice Ganon! nice swing in the right hand. I like the backup choices too. Nice work!

Thanks, Kathy! And Thanks - its been a fun one.

Very nice Kathy.... I like playing half-fast too. Ha.. Just kidding.  Keep the instruction vid's coming please and thanks.

Dane

RSS

Don't Miss These!

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

Matt Harlow updated their profile
Jan 4
billy jones bluez updated their profile
Dec 26, 2021
Marlana Fury updated their profile
Jun 24, 2021
Wendell Greason posted photos
May 6, 2021
Louis Ruoti commented on Louis Ruoti's video
Thumbnail

Wildwood Flower - Louis Ruoti - Flatpick Solo

"Thank you kindly, John. Much appreciated!"
Apr 1, 2021
John David Hanke commented on Louis Ruoti's video
Thumbnail

Wildwood Flower - Louis Ruoti - Flatpick Solo

"wonderful version, very nice..."
Apr 1, 2021
John David Hanke updated their profile
Apr 1, 2021
terry thompson shared Russ Barenberg's blog post on Facebook
Mar 3, 2021
terry thompson posted a discussion

Download Digital Academy onto new device

I have the Flatpicking Guitar Digital Academy on one device with videos I have downloaded but I was to view them on another device. How do I do this? Thanks TerrySee More
Mar 3, 2021
billy jones bluez posted a video

.♪♫•*¨*•. . Liar . .♪♫•*¨*•. ~ . deep swamp re-mix ~ Billy Jones & Delta Blues Outlaws

.♪♫•*¨*•. . Liar . .♪♫•*¨*•.~ . deep swamp re-mix .Billy Jones & Delta Blues Outlawshttps://youtu.be/b1SL2_Ma5I4https://www.facebook.com/TheBillyJonesBand/vi...
Jan 19, 2021
David Helm updated their profile
Nov 21, 2020
Profile IconMichael Murphy, John Hawkins, Kevin Williams and 8 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Jun 10, 2020
Wendell Greason posted a photo
May 29, 2020
TAKA posted a status
"In 2020!!"
May 28, 2020
Profile IconRyan Orr, Bob Gordon, Rick Lewis and 26 more joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Mar 18, 2020
WR Mesher updated their profile
Jan 22, 2020

© 2022   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service