Flatpicking Guitar Network

For Fans of Flatpicking Guitar Magazine

I'm saving money this year to go next year. It's a long trip from northeast PA, but Steve and the group of super talents he's put together as instructors will be well worth it. Has anyone been there? What's the inside scoop on camp week? Was it all you thought it would be?

Views: 71

Replies to This Discussion

I first attended in 2005. Next week will be year #4. That's 4 Bear Claws!

C ya soon
My first time attending was week 1 of last year (2007). I had not actually spoken with anyone who had attended a Kamp, but was going on reviews and comments I had read. Well, it was a blast. I tried to attend everything; slow jams, master classes, open mics, and jammed with as many folks as I could. Early in the week, I was a bit hesitant to take part in the jams, or certainly take a break on a tune, but later in the week I figured I wasn't gonna get over any anxieties by watching people play, but by diving in the deep end. I found most everyone to be very accommodating and encouraging, and as a result, I was able to start getting over my fear of lead playing. Each instructor was approachable and extremely helpful, and the concerts each night were each "an event". I made a couple of great friends at Kamp, and look forward to picking with them again. Of course, you guys know all this because you've been to Steve's Kamp(s). I was unable to go this year, but look forward to going again, hopefully next year. Immersion into acoustic nirvana. No sleep, no problem.

Jimmy
Yep, I've been there for all of them. I was a young man when I attended the first Kamp, then called Flatpicking Guitar Kamp. Back before there was electricity in the tents we inhabited on campus. We had to jam by candlelight. We had to walk through the snow to classes...
Thanks for the note. The 2009 instructor list is almost complete and almost too strong to resist.
See you in 2009 - I can't wait!
SK
To all the 2008 Kampers - please send me a disc of photos if you haven't already. I want to go through them and get them on the Kamp site www.acoustic-kamp.com
thanks
Mail to
SK
PO Box 1020
Alcoa TN 37701
See you in June if not sooner
I attended week 1 .. 2005 . An incredible time.
Great folks , the finest pickin ..
Met some very fine people ..
I will return someday !

Bill
I was a first timer with my 16 year old son in 2008. It was more than i had hoped for. It is the bestbargain out there. Now, for me, I only played by myself at home, and tat kamp you cannot help but take the first, necessary baby steps to play with others. Since kamp i have not had that opportunity, but have purchased some "bluegrassjam" dvd's to help with that.

One of the main things, depending on what you are studying in kamp, is to come in with a half dozen or so songs that you can play rhythm to. That would make your experience a little less anxiety free. The jam coordinators are awesome, and will make sure you catch on...if you ask them they even meet with you individually to help you out.

Main thing about kamp is it truly is not a competition! The best picker out there is more than happy to help out the newbie. Good folks getting together with a love of music. Can't beat it.
Hey girl, I just joined the group and see you're from Pennsylvania--me too! How close are you to West Grove, Pa 19390 (between Phila and Wilmington?
I did week 2 in 2005 for mandolin ... and week 2 in both 2006 and 2008 for flatpicking. I'm an advanced player now and I continue to study every chance I get. In fact, right now I'm in the process reviewing Kathy's lesson and lecture from our 2008 Flatpicking Handbook, and I'm deep into Steve's version of Beaumont Rag from his Championship Book ... as my current project. I also open up to Jim's lessons on rhythm in the 2006 book.

I wonder how many people here go into their Handbooks regularly for reviews. The information in them is priceless.

Yes, it's all I was hoping for and then some. One intense week crammed with classes, jamming, concerts, making and renewing friendships with other pickers, listening to and playing other instruments, and even some "elbow-rubbing" with the many elite players present (Kamp Staff and other Kampers).  It is really an exhausting week if you take advantage of all the electives, private lessons, and opportunities to play, but I am always sad when it ends, and immediately look forward to next year. This year will be only my 3rd Kamp; I took flatpicking the first year and bluegrass banjo the second, but Kamp seems to get better each year (and the calibre of all the players does too)... I can't wait for June to roll around.

RSS

Don't Miss These!

Badge

Loading…

Latest Activity

billy jones bluez updated their profile
Oct 1
Jed C left a comment for Jonathan Trawick
"I'm sorry sir but the Chief Stewardess has said you've had enough....."
Feb 3, 2009
Steve Broitman is attending Kevin Justice's event
Thumbnail

Wilmington Winter Bluegrass Festival

March 13, 2009 at 6pm to March 15, 2009 at 6pm
The Wilmington Winter Bluegrass Festival is presented March 13-15, 2009 at the Holiday Inn Select in Claymont, DE. by Wilmington Wintergrass, Inc., as we proudly present our 2nd annual all-indoor festival.Featuring 2 stages, workshops, jamsSee More
Feb 3, 2009
Tim Pulley and Ray Fairbanks are now friends
Feb 3, 2009
Tim Pulley left a comment for Ray Fairbanks
"Thanks Ray, I really appreciate the comments. I Look forward to seeing you somewhere down the pickin' road."
Feb 3, 2009
Les Hughes replied to Les Hughes's discussion Strings
"Thank you Ray!"
Feb 3, 2009
Jonathan Trawick left a comment for Jed C
"p.s. starvy creek's in missouri. it's great, i almost went last year. maybe i'll go this year"
Feb 3, 2009
Tim Pulley posted a song

play Grandfathers Clock

Feb 3, 2009
Tim Pulley updated their profile
Feb 3, 2009
Chad left a comment for Paige Anderson
"I noticed your name on your capo. :)"
Feb 3, 2009
Chad joined Chad Fette's group
Thumbnail

Norman Blake Fans

This is the place for those of us who love Norman Blake! Feel free to comment on Norman's technique, albums, instruments, philosophy, concert performances, or anything else that is Norman related.
Feb 3, 2009
Chad joined John Carlini's group
Thumbnail

Taking It To The Next Level

A companion forum to my column in Flatpicking Guitar Magazine. Discussion will include fingerboard harmony, practice techniques, swing and jazz styles, all with a goal of achieving constant improvement.
Feb 3, 2009
Tim Pulley joined Marcy Marxer "Iona Martin"'s group
Thumbnail

Recording

This group is the place to share recording tips, tricks and techniques. Equipment discussions welcome.See More
Feb 3, 2009
Dirk Johnson left a comment for Ray Fairbanks
"Hey bud, I'm in...thx dj"
Feb 3, 2009
Profile IconDirk Johnson and Paul Shippy joined Flatpicking Guitar Network
Feb 3, 2009

© 2017   Created by Dan Miller.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service